31 posts tagged creativity
“"Creativity is so much more than making something. Creativity is how we interact with each other… it’s like trying to insist that you’re alive." —Mike White”
“Please, God, leave us this one mystery, unsolved: why man creates.”
“In the school environment, creativity can be considered pathological behavior as opposed to the compliant traits of being reliable, sincere, good-natured, responsible, tolerant, and peaceable — the qualities associated with the lowest levels of creativity.”
“A study now suggests that simply taking a break does not bring on inspiration — rather, creativity is fostered by tasks that allow the mind to wander.”
If you were to ask an honest designer how they get their ideas…such things are personal and emotionally constructed; you cannot simply explain where it comes from, but that it is built up from your experiences. That is the old school method, by which a designer takes his or her time to understand one’s self while building up one’s design language and analytical skills.
Some people take the short cut and simply apply the veneer of style… instead of being created and developed within, [it] is merely borrowed and consumed. Such designs are impersonal and detached from meaningful context…”
“1. There are three states of being. Not knowing, action and completion.
2. Accept that everything is a draft. It helps to get it done.
3. There is no editing stage.
4. Pretending you know what you’re doing is almost the same as knowing what you are doing, so just accept that you know what you’re doing even if you don’t and do it.
5. Banish procrastination. If you wait more than a week to get an idea done, abandon it.
6. The point of being done is not to finish but to get other things done.
7. Once you’re done you can throw it away.
8. Laugh at perfection. It’s boring and keeps you from being done.
9. People without dirty hands are wrong. Doing something makes you right.
10. Failure counts as done. So do mistakes.
11. Destruction is a variant of done.
12. If you have an idea and publish it on the internet, that counts as a ghost of done.
13. Done is the engine of more.”